The concert pianist Sunghoon Simon Hwang is one of the most prominent pianists of his generation. He has appeared internationally with major orchestras such as the Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra, the Orchestre de Montbeliard, the Janáček Philharmonic, the San Remo Symphony Orchestra, the Duisburg Symphony, the Orquestra Granada, the Orquestra Nacional do Porto, the Filarmonica Marchigiana, the Filarmonica Banatul, the Orchestra Sinfonica Sicilliana, the Vina del Mar Orchestra, the Bacau Symphony, the Taiwan National Symphony Orchestra, the Orquestra Sinfonica Perfecto Garcia Chornet, the Seoul Academy Symphony Orchestra and the Busan Metropolitan Orchestra.
His performances as soloist with orchestra, as a chamber musician and piano recitals received worldwide recognition from the audience and the music press, specially after his Debut at the Carnegie Hall in New York (USA) Mr. Hwang received a great critic at the New York Concert Review Inc.
Sunghoon Simon won more than 40 international awards and 9 special interpretation prizes at prestigious piano competitions like Epinal, Jaen, Porto, Senigallia, Maria Canals, Luis Sigall, Glenn Gould, Serge Prokofiev, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Anton Rubinstein, Johannes Brahms and Bellini. He got numerous concert invitations from European and Asian music festivals like the Ferrucio Busoni festival, the Alfredo Speranza Festival, the Grosseto international piano festival, the “Klassik in der Altstadt” festival, the Chateau de Lourmarin festival, Niestetal international piano festival, Busan Maru International Music Festival(BMIMF), the Wennigsen music festival and many others.
Sunghoon Simon Hwang studied at the Korean National University of Arts in Seoul with Prof. J.P. Lim, at the Santa Cecilia Academia in Roma with Prof. Sergio Perticaroli, at the École Normal de Musique in Paris with Prof. Youngshin An, at the Hannover Musikhoschule in the classes of Prof. Einar Steen-Nökleberg and Prof. Mi-Kyung Kim.
Sunghoon Simon Hwang has taught worldwide master classes for piano and got many invitations from universities, conservatories and music summer schools, as for example at the Otto-von-Guericke University in Magdeburg, at the Kloster Michaelstein in Blankenburg with an invitation of the “Landes musik akademie Sachsen-Anhalt” in Germany. In 2010, he was invited as a Professor by the "Tenerife international concert academy festival"in Spain. From 2009 to 2013 he taught piano at the Hildesheim University in Germany.
Mr. Hwang is currently the Artistic Director of the Sviatoslav Richter international piano online competition, the Classic On international piano competition and the Glenn Gould in Memoriam piano competition in South Korea. Furthermore, he was invited as a member of Jury by numerous piano competitions such as the Maria Canals in Barcelona, the Claude Bonneton in Sete, the Rina Sala Gallo in Monza, the Tokyo international music competition, the Roma international music competition, the G.Raciti international music competition, the Terra degli Imperiali international music competition, the Euterpe international music competition.
Born in 1947, first piano lessons in 1952, pupil of Joachim Volkmann, Frankfurt, from 1962 to 1966, study course with A. Leopolder in Frankfurt from 1966 to 1970.
Awarded a scholarship by the Study Foundation of the German Nation in 1970 to study with Pièrre Sancan in Paris. Studies with Jürgen Uhde, Dora Metzger and Günter Louegk in Stuttgart from 1972 to 1976.
Master classes under Claudio Arrau, Wilhelm Kempff and others.
Winner of international competitions, including
1st prize „Viotti“, Vercelli,
1st prize „Maria Canals“, Barcelona,
3rd prize „Busoni“, Bozen
and other prizes „Casella“ Naples and Geneva
Recitals and appearances as soloist at orchestral concerts in most European countries, the USA and >Japan, performances on radio and television, LP and CD recordings.
Chamber music as piano partner of F.P. Zimmermann (at the Berlin Festival, Schwetzinger Festival and Ludwigsburg Festival and in Amsterdam, Hamburg, Cologne, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Riga and other cities) with Kurt Nikkanen, New York, (in Oslo, Berlin, Ludwigshafen), with the Brodsky Quartet, London, the cellists Julius Berger, Maria Kliegel, Ivan Monighetti and David Geringas, the violinists Valery Klimov, Saschko Gavriloff, Ulf Hoelscher and others.
Teaching appointment from 1977 onwards at the Frankfurt Academy of Music, Professor at the Dortmund Academy of Music since1980,
Actually Professor at Folkwang- Hochschule, Essen and Guest Professor at Musashino Academy of Music, Tokyo.
Masterclasses regularly in Germany, Japan, Korea and Italy, others in USA and Russia.
Foundation of the International Summer Academy in Cervo/Italy in 1989 with responsibility for artistic management. Jury-member of important international Piano competitions. Artistic director of International Schubert-competition Dortmund.
Ian Goh Bin Wei, a native of Malaysia, has appeared in recitals as soloist and chamber musician in United States, China, Japan, Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia, Cambodia, and Malaysia. He made his piano concerto debut at Juanita K. Hammons Hall (USA) after winning the Missouri State University Concerto Competition in 2008, and premiered Fantasy Variations for Piano and Orchestra by Patrick Brown under the baton of Dr. Robert Quebbeman at the Original Composition Festival in the same year. He has also worked with other orchestras and ensembles, including Kuala Lumpur Performing Arts Centre Orchestra, Sixteen Strings String Quartet, DSCH String Quartet, Debonair (multi-piano ensemble), to name a few. He won multiple competition prizes and scholarships, and was featured in various major events including Bowdoin International Piano Festival (USA), Glissando International Piano Festival (USA), Costa Rica Piano Festival (Costa Rica),and Piano Gala (Malaysia), among others.
He is frequently invited to serve as an adjudicator for international piano competitions and music festivals. Over the years, he has judged over 50 music competition sheld in China, Singapore, Korea, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Cambodia, and Malaysia. He is also a juror of World Piano Teachers Association – International Piano Competition (Serbia) for both Piano Performance and Piano Composition categories. Other than his involvement as an adjudicator, he is also very much in demand as a guest piano faculty, and has given lectures, workshops and piano master classes throughout Asia. He is also regularly invited as a guest examiner by music institutes and universities.
As a versatile composer, he has composed works of different genres, from classical to contemporary. His most recent commissioned work include “Loving Life” for Choir and String Orchestra (premiered at opening ceremony of Asia Pacific Arts Festival 2018, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; this work has also been performed in USA, Vietnam and Cambodia), and “Wind Gust(s)” for Piano Solo (specially commissioned by the Kingsburg International Piano Competition 2018, Yantai, China).
A sought after teacher, Ian Goh’s students have won numerous international and national competitions. They have been featured in major venues including Carnegie Hall (USA), Auditorium Parco Della Musica (Italy), Hong Kong Academy of Performing Arts Recital Hall (Hong Kong), Taipei National University of the Arts (Taiwan), as well as, Thailand Cultural Centre Recital Hall (Thailand). His students were also selected to participate in masterclasses with major artists, such as Armen Babakhanian, Anthony Hewitt, Richard Ormrod, to mention a few.
His principal mentors include Ng Chong Lim and Dr. Wei-Han Su. He also studied with renowned pianists including Julian Martin, Barry Synder, and Enrico Elisi. He graduated from Missouri State University in Piano Performance, and also holds the Fellowship Diploma in Piano Performance from Trinity College of Music, the Licentiate and the Recital Diplomas from Guildhall School of Music & Drama.
- Graduated from Seoul National University and a Master's degree in Manhattan College of Music.
- During a Ph.D.program in art management at Suwan University
- Devued in Opera Orfeo ed Euridice at New York, Invited to Aspen music festival, a leading role in Lucia di Lammermoor Carmen
- A leading role in The Uijeongbu Opera Company, Seoul City Opera Company, Siheung Opera Group, and La Pace Opera Group.
- Collaboration with Seoul City Symphony Orchestra, Seoul Philharmonic, Prime Philharmonic Orchestra, Gyeonggi Provincial Orchestra, Mostly Philharmonic Orchestra, New York Christian Orchestra, MCM Orchestra
- International Competition 1st Prize, Monthly Music, Music Journal, Bae-Jae University Competition, etc.
- Adjunct professor of Suwon University and Seoul National University
- Graduated from Seoul National University, College of Music, Singing, and Music (1996)
- Soongsil University, College of Natural Sciences, Mathematics (1990)
- Genoa Royal Academy Opera major (1999)
- Hundreds of bass roles in hundreds of operas such as Seoul's opera and national operas, as well as many domestic operas, such as “Don Carlo” and “Don Giovanni.”
- Beethoven in Nagoya, Japan Invited as a soloist in the ninth symphony several times
- Awarded the International Competition of Barreze in Italy in November 2000
- Served as an adjunct professor at the department of vocal music at Seoul National University of Music and as a foreign professor at the department of vocal music at Kookmin University
- (currently... Present professor at Soongsil University, Goyang Art high school attendance, opera planning representative.
- Italian Ambrosian choir soloist in Italy
- Appeared as soloist of Italian Saron No municipal concert
- Korean opera group, Opera "Madame Butterfly" "Messiah" bass soloist.
- National opera group, Opera "Raboem" (Colline) Opera "Aida" (Lampis), Oratorio “Elijah“ Singer
- Seoul Opera Group, Opera ”Rigoletto“(Sparafucile)
Opera “Masquerade” (Samuel)
Opera “Don Giovanni” (Don Giovanni)
Opera “Don Carlos” (Philip King II)
Opera "The Barber of Sevilla" (Basilio)
"The Power of Destiny" (Guariano), "Manon Lesco" (Jerente), "Tusca" (Angeloti),.."La Traviata" (Grenvil)
- Daejeon Arts Opera hosted by the Hall of Fame "Aida “
- Italian Trieste Theatre "La Traviata"
- Daegu Opera House "Il Barbiere di Siviglia“
- Opera by the Goyang Foundation "Die Zauberflote“(Zarastraw)
- Opera by Incheon Opera Team "Aida" (King) "La Traviata“ (Grenvil).
- Insiem Opera Group Opera "Raboem" (Colline)
- Kazugai, Japan "Beethoven No. 9 Symphony"
- Insiem Opera Group "David King (Nathan Prophet)"
- Chungmu Art Hall "La Traviata (Grenvil Doctor)"
- Seoul National University "Raboem (Colline)"
- hosted by Gangdong Art Center, "Turandot (Timur)“
- hosted by Hunan Opera Group, "Survey Opera Group", "Turandot (Timur)"
- Il Barbiere di Siviglia" organized by National Opera Group
- Family Opera hosted by Seoul Arts Center "Turandot"
- Opera by Chungmu Art Hall "Toska“ (Angelotti)
- Daejeon Seoward Office "Il Barbiere di Siviglia"
- Seoul Opera Ensemble "Werter"
- New Seoul Opera Group "Laboem"
- Opera Festival "Cosi fan Tutee"
- Korea Opera Group "Yang Won Son" "Hamseong 1919"
- Germany Detmold Musik Hochschule (Detmold National University of Music) Graduation of the Orchestra Conduct (Kapellmeister Diplom) Senior
- Essen Folkwang Hochschule (Essen National University) Senior Admission and Graduation
- Russia St.Petersburg concervatory (Petersburg National University of Music) Completion
- Hungarian International Conducting Competition Women's First Prize (2nd place)
- 2012 Korea Opera Grand Prize Conductor Award
- Selected as a leader to lead the next generation in 2011 (International newspaper)
- 2011, 2012 Conducted by the Korea Opera Festival
- Received the 1st Young Women Culture Impression (Ministry of Culture and Tourism)
- 2012 Korea-China diplomatic 20th-anniversary creative opera premiere Beijing invited performance
- 2015 Malaysian king invited Korean & Malaysia exchange opera gala concert performance
- 2017 Ho Chi Minh World Race Expo Conducting Invitational Performances, Founding Mecenat of Ho Chi Minh
- Sudwestfalen Philharmonie Orchester Touring three cities in Germany
- Bielefelder Theater Orchester, Dresdner youth Orchester, Duna symphony orchester, Detmold chor, Buende chor, Stuttgart Bach Akademie Orchester & Chor. Detmold Big Band Orchetrer, KBS Symphony Orchestra, Daejeon Sihyang, Busan Sihyang, Changwon Sihyang, Seoul Philharmonic, Siheung Symphony Orchestra
- Seoul Philharmonic, Siheung Symphony Orchestra, Herald Phil Harmonic, Senior Conductor
- Busan Municipal Youth Symphony Orchestra Senior Conductor
- Korean Academy of Arts, Busan University, served as an invited professor at Dankook University
- United Philharmonic Music Directer
- Beha Philharmonic Senior Conductor)
- “O.Respighi” di Latina National Conservatoire Senior Graduation Full
- “0.Respighi” di Latina National Conservatory Chamber Music Biennio Graduation Completed
- “Chigiana” di Siena Accademia Academic Performer Graduation
- “S. Cecilia” di Roma National Accademia National Academic Completion
- “O.Respighi” di Latina National Conservatory Biennio Course Full Graduation
- Domestic Contest Music Journal, Chosun Ilbo Prize, World Symphony 1,
- Italy: “Dino Caravita”, “A.MA Calabria” “Flegreo” 1, etc. and overall Grand Prize
- “Dino Caravita”1999 This year's cellist award
- France.“Unesco in Paris” country provided Cool 3rd Prize Winner
- Colaboration with Seoul Philharmonic, Seoul Symphony, World Symphony Orchestra
- Italy -Lavenna, Bologna. Roma, Iatina City Invitational Recital
- Organized by Florence City-Palestine-Ramallah City Trio Performance
- “Dino Caravita”A.gi.Mus Mozart Hall Invitational Recital
- “O.Respighi” di Latina National Conservatoire Orchestra Senior
- Orchestra di Giovanile di Roma Senior Fellow
- Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra Vice President
- Orchestra Internazionale di Civitavecchia Senior Member
- Orchestra Comica di L'Aquilla Senior Director
- “AMADEUS” Academia Rome Served as cello instructor
- served as pre-instructor for match competition
- 2019 Goyang City Music Newspaper Contest Jury
- Vinain Cello Ensemble CEO
- MK Chamber Orchestra Chief
- Italia “Anthea String Trio” Member